Friday, November 21, 2008

Insomnia Cookies


Although I stated my intention to avoid major chains in this blog, I felt that Insomnia Cookies was a notable exception. It is a unique institution that appears only on college campuses, which in a way makes it unique to Michigan State. In other words, you will not find an Insomnia Cookies just anywhere. They are few and far between.

When I arrived at Michigan State, I heard many reviews of Insomnia Cookies. Surprisingly, reviews were all over the place. Many people insisted these cookies were the best they had ever tried, while others contended that they were merely average. I felt compelled to finally try these cookies for the purpose of this blog.

I have some good news and some bad news.

Good News: The cookies were delicious, particularly the chocolate chunk and M&M variety.

Bad News: The cookies are a bit pricey. 

In rough economic times, not many people can afford to shell out $1/cookie, particularly when the cookies are relatively small. If the cookies were discounted in bulk orders, it would be a major plus. They are not. The fact is, a person will be paying over $20 with tax if they want 20 cookies. With the same amount of money, I have purchased enough ingredients to make at least 100 similarly sized cookies. 

This is not to say that the cookies are outrageously priced. They would be well served to lower the prices by about 15 or 20 cents per cookie. 

(For detailed pricing and other information, you can reach their website HERE)

I found the cookies to be worth the price for a one-time deal, though I admit I am hesitant to return frequently given the expense. The cookies are baked when ordered, giving a genuine freshness that is difficult to find anywhere else without making them yourself. I was very pleased with the taste.



If you have the means, feel free to stop by Insomnia Cookies at the corner of Grand River Ave. and Bailey St. If you can afford a dent in your wallet or purse, you won't regret the trip.

No comments: